Saturday, June 29, 2013

No Worries

Just something I was reading the other day in the Bible that really got to me...

I have a tendency to worry all. of. the. time. I didn't really realize how bad it was until two of my friends started calling me out on it. I'd be talking on the phone and worrying about something, and they'd go, "Allison, you worry too much." I usually would just sigh, and say, "I know but..." and tell them why *this* particular doctors appt./job interview/history assignment/whatever it may be was really worth worrying about.

Then, inevitably, the thing that I had been worrying about would come and go, and when telling my friend about the day, I would sheepishly say, "It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.."

It got to the point where all my friend would have to say, "Allison..." and I would just finish the sentence for them. "I know, I know, I worry too much."

It didn't take long for me to realize I had a problem with worrying, and I decided to start working on it. Believe it or not, I have been doing a little bit better with not worrying but...

right now I have something that's really been hitting me hard for the last few days and has only grown in intensity today.

My instinct is to worry about it, but I have been fighting that urge with scripture all day.

My favorite no-worries passage right now is Psalm 37. I especially like verses 3-9:

Trust in the Lord and do good;
dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.
 
Take delight in the Lord,
and he will give you the desires of your heart.
 
Commit your way to the Lord;
trust in him and he will do this:
 
He will make your righteous reward shine like the dawn,
your vindication like the noonday sun.
 
Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him;
do not fret when people succeed in their ways,
when they carry out their wicked schemes.
 
Refrain from anger and turn from wrath;
do not fret—it leads only to evil.
 
 For those who are evil will be destroyed,
but those who hope in the Lord will inherit the land.
 
 
I keep trying to repeat that to myself. Today on my lunch break at work, as I drove to get food, I literally said it out loud in my car. "Allison, do not fret. Do not fret."

So I'm trying not to fret...

...No, let me take that back. As my Joel would say, "You can't "try", you have to just do."

So, I will not fret.
null


2 comments:

  1. Aww Allie, I had no idea you struggled with this!! :/ You'll be in my prayers!! Love you soo much!!

    p.s. "My Joel"... ohh Al, you guys are too cute. ;)

    Love ya lots!!
    Manda
    http://meandjesus-amanda.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've struggled with worry, too. Thanks for your words on the subject! =) I'm praying that you will have peace & trust in whatever is currently laying upon your heart. Here's a Bible verse I like in regards to worry: "Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you." -1 Peter 5:7. I also like Philippians 4:6, Isaiah 41:10, & Joshua 1:9. I often tell myself, too, that "He is trustworthy." Before, I would just say, "Trust Him" or "I trust You" to myself when worry would creep in, but it still crept. Just changing the phrase to "He is trustworthy" feels like the pressure's off me & I can rest in that beautiful promise of His trustworthiness. It's still a struggle at times when my old ways of worrying return, but it's getting better - it's hard work, but defeating worry is possible through God's strength!
    Love,
    -Bess-
    P.S.: Here's a post I did about my "He is Trustworthy" epiphany! =)
    http://bessbag.blogspot.com/2013/05/he-is.html & here's another post: http://bessbag.blogspot.com/2010/10/letting-go-of-fear.html

    ReplyDelete