Monday, July 29, 2013

On College, Tithing, and that Guy

So I sat down at my computer to look for something on google and work on a project, but as usual I ended up somewhere completely different, haha. Namely, blogger. I decided to write a post because, well, I have some stuff in my head and I want to get it all out. I organized it by topic (see title of post), so it's easy to read. ;)

College: I START COLLEGE AUGUST 19th. Which is in, like, threeeeeee weeks, I think? Something like that? I'm dual-majoring in Visual Arts and Communications (Journalism).

People keep asking me "Are you excited?" and I literally give everyone a different answer because my feelings toward it change. constantly. One minute I am so excited I can't stand it. I mean, I love school and my classes are on such interesting topics. I'm taking Astronomy (with a good friend from church!), French (Bonjour! Comment allez-vous?), Reading Conference (reading books and discussing them? yes, please.), Women's Chorus (we may actually perform with our local symphony orchestra! what, what??!!!), Orientation (I'm sure that will be easy...), and an art class. I mean, those sound fantastic!

But at the same time, I've been homeschooled my entire life, and I've always been in a predominantly Christian environment. What will it be like *going* to a secular school? I feel like a little goldfish in a big tank of hungry sharks! *gulp*. I will be glad when my first week is done and I will at least know what to expect.

Tithing: So, an interesting thing happened to me today. I'm trying to buy a car right now (which I need for college and work), but with my $3,000 budget and kinda picky attitude, I've been having a hard time with that. Good cars at that price are few and far between, and even fewer the less money you have. I've decided to save a HUGE chunk of my next two paychecks from work to put towards it, but life seems intent on taking it from me. This morning I was thinking about how I need to put some of my last paycheck in the offering plate for tithing. Sadly, my initial reaction to this thought was "I hardly have enough money as it is! If I do that, that's less for my car, not to mention my other bills." Then I thought, "Ok, the whole point of tithing is to learn to trust God and not hoard my money as if I really gave it to myself. Everything I have is a gift from God, and he is the one who will provide everything I need." However, I hadn't cashed my check yet, so I couldn't take the money to church.

Fast forward to the service. As I was sitting there, I noticed a yellow envelope sticking out of one of my sermon notebooks. I pulled it out, and saw it was a card. I opened it, and realized it was a graduation card a lady from church had given me a few weeks ago, and inside was money I had left in there. I quickly pulled it out. My first thought was, "Sweet! Taco Bell for lunch!" but then I saw the offering envelope in front of me sitting in the box on the back of the pew, and I knew where this money was meant to go.The best part of this story, though, is my mom texted my sister right after church and said she was buying us Taco Bell for lunch. It's a small thing, but God reminded me today He provides above and beyond what we want and need every day. :) God gave me that money to remind me again that He will give me what I need when I need it, if I am willing to give what He entrusts me with back to Him.

The Guy: I'm not going to make this super in depth here because, well, I like to keep my feelings to myself a lot, but I thought I'd introduce my boyfriend. :) We have been going out for about two months, but we have known each other for almost a year now. He and I met through co-op. It's kind of a funny story that has a lot of... plot twists (my friend and I want to write a book about it. lol) but it has all worked out into the most beautiful way! I'll tell that story in a separate post. :)



null

1 comment:

  1. This is going to sound so stupid of me but I didn't realize other religions had tithing too! I'm Mormon and we pay tithing but that's kind of cool to to me to know we're not the only ones. ha I really appreciated you telling this experience by the way because tithing is something that I have personally struggled with a bit (it's just so hard especially as a poor college student, you know?) so hearing this story, even if it was a small thing, was a helpful reminder to me. I also really liked that how you said that tithing is to help us learn to trust God and to not hoard money- I like that so much, I've never thought about it that way before.

    Also regarding college, wishing you all the luck in the world in the upcoming weeks!! You'll do great and I think your feelings are totally normal, don't worry. That's how I felt for sure! Which college will you be going to?

    ReplyDelete